Online Career Training – Overview
- DELIVERY OF DISTANCE EDUCATION
The Online Career Training (OCT) setting constitutes the core of Emerging Technologies Institute’s system of distance learning. It offers individuals the opportunity to acquire and improve their skills and knowledge at a pace convenient to their current lifestyles and commitments.
At ETI, to ensure fairness, objectives and outcomes required from students remain identical whether a course or curriculum is offered online or in the classroom. Quizzes and exams have the same level of difficulty regardless of the method of instruction. Furthermore, the grading policy is not altered for distance learning.
ETI’s method of delivery of distance learning is designed to reflect the needs of students. It is a teacher supported on demand learning environment where students are given a reasonable amount of time to complete a course. Each course provides students with a method of posting questions. These questions are regularly monitored by our designated teachers providing a timely response to all our participants concerns. Students are also able to communicate with the faculty via e-mail.
No resident training is necessary. Students are able to perform hands on exercises through simulations on their PC screen. Pictures, animations and videos are also made available depending on the topic or the delivery method.
To facilitate an active interaction between students and faculty, ETI has established several avenues:
- For our live courses, students are able to communicate with the faculty live over the Internet through the course module. They are informed of a predefined time as to when their instructor will be online to answer their questions.
- Students also have the option of delayed communication by sending their questions via email to their instructor or submitting them directly through the course module. Students will receive a response from their instructor within 2 business days.
FACULTY INVOLVEMENT AND SUPPORT
ETI’s Distance Learning Team consists of an instructional designer, faculty, advisor and technologist. All members of the team are skillful or seasoned professionals proficient within specific areas of Education or technology. The team is lead by the instructional designer who reviews all the instructional materials with the assistance of the faculty.
Instructional Designer: Lyonel Coriolan – Mr. Coriolan comes with over 25 years of experience in the Engineering Management and Computer fields. He holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering and Applied Mathematics and Statistics from the State University of New York at Stony Brook.
The faculty will play an important role in reviewing the content and providing support to the program offered through distance education. They will oversee the instruction, evaluation and grading requirements of the distance education training. The instructor-student ratio is 1/20. Faculty is licensed by NYSED/BPSS. The instructors are trained by the technologist in the technology used in distance learning.
The technologist will review and study the relevant technologies to be used in the program and will provide the technical support. She/he will be responsible for providing training to other distance learning team members.
Technologist: Jean-Daniel Romain – Mr. Romain is experienced in data migration, database design and implementation, software design and digital imagery.
The role of the advisor is to provide the resources and support needed to ensure the success of this functional team.
Advisor: Frantz Jerome – Mr. Jerome comes with over 30 years of experience in education. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications Arts and Sciences from Queens College of the City University of New York, and a Master’s Degree in Mathematics Education from Long Island University.
ADMISSIONS STANDARDS AND STUDENT RECRUITMENT
The admission standards for distance learning are the same as for classroom training.
ETI admits students into its distance learning programs without regard to their ethnicity, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religious beliefs or a lack thereof.
Applicants are required to satisfy the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age on or before starting their first day of class;
- Complete an admissions application;
- Provide evidence that they have earned a high school diploma or its equivalent. If high school was completed outside of the United States, the applicant must submit a copy of the high school diploma and, if applicable, an acceptable English translation of the diploma.
The requirement for proof of high school completion may be waived if the applicant can provide a copy of an official transcript showing completion of a postsecondary associate’s degree or higher. An official transcript from a non-U.S. college or university must be accompanied by a written evaluation by an agency acceptable to ETI advising that the credential earned is equivalent to an associate degree or higher of an accredited U.S. college.
1. Possess a basic understanding of and competency in computer functions and operations and a fundamental knowledge of word processing as demonstrated by passage of a school-developed computer assessment exam with a score of 75% or higher.
Applicants who do not pass this exam on the first attempt may choose to take the exam a second time but must wait two weeks before doing so. The required pass rate on the second attempt is 80%.
2. Complete and sign an enrollment agreement.
Advertising and recruitment materials will fully conform to the provisions of the Education Law and Commissioner’s Regulations. The school’s address appears in catalogs, enrollment agreement and the school’s website. The web site link: www.emergingtech.edu is available at the BPSS and ACICS web sites.
Refer to the school catalog for a description of the school’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
To support their learning, students will have access to the following student services at no additional cost:
- All students will be able to gain access to workshops that are designed to specifically guide them in their studies. At the beginning of each class, students will be given a schedule specifying the time of live interaction between students and teachers. All participants will be able to relate to other students through a digital board either live or by reviewing their posting.
- All students will have the option of delayed communication by sending their questions via email to their instructor or by posting on the digital board. Students will receive a response from their instructor within 2 business days.
- Relevant inquiries from students are always welcomed and addressed in timely and professional manners. If the instructor cannot address an inquiry promptly and satisfactorily, the student will have access to the Advisor and subsequently to the Director, via email and/or by telephone. Counseling and guidance will be available through the Advisement office upon request by student and/or initiated by ETI based on a student evaluation results.
STUDENTS AND STUDENTS’ SERVICES
At ETI, we will ensure that the entire student body gets easy access to our services. Our comprehensive online training internet presence guides our students at every step of their learning process. All means of access to our resources are properly documented and students may easily contact our staff about any problem they encounter. A feature that is omnipresent throughout our web pages lets visitors as well as students instantly contact members of our staff. Links to third party resources such as NYSED/BPSS, Microsoft, and other services and support are accessible via the ETI website.
In accordance with the Education Law and the Commissioner’s Regulations, students’ records are kept in a locked file cabinet as well as secure servers in the cloud to ensure the privacy, safety and security of student information and student financial transactions. Personal and financial information given by the students to authenticate their identity prior to taking a test will be provided over a secure server on-line.
COMMITMENT TO SUPPORT
ETI will demonstrate strong on-going support to the program both technical and financial to enable students to complete their certificate.
Our digital infrastructure was built with the specific goal of providing our students with all the assistance they need to master their course of study and to apply their knowledge in the world at large.
A complete section of our distance learning environment is dedicated for the refinement of the students’ skills beyond the requirement of the course of study. Workshops were professionally designed to assist the student in improving their knowledge by exposing them to other professionals in their fields as well as providing them with training about their career requirements and assisting them in job hunting and workplace strategies.
To evaluate and improve its distance education, ETI will review periodically the student’s surveys. Specific action will be implemented if necessary to improve the quality of our system.
An enrollment agreement will be submitted for approval for each training program provided through distance education. Refund practices will fully conform to the provisions of the New York State Educational Law and the Commissioner’s Regulations.
Students are encouraged to complete a voluntary survey at the end of each term. To assess the performance of our distance education program we periodically review these surveys. Feedbacks are consulted by our Instructional designer with the goal of improving our student learning outcomes. Our technologist constantly tests and reviews all suggestions and complaints concerning specific areas of the technical aspects of our environment and corrects them accordingly. The number of students completing the program successfully is our main criterion for assessing the strength of our approach. ETI will demonstrate the educational effectiveness of distance education including assessment of student learning outcomes, student retention, student and faculty satisfaction and cost effectiveness by providing internal reports as well as publications for visitors and the student body concerning each program of study.
The strong student support services established by ETI will ensure that students are encouraged to start, continue, and finish the program in which they have enrolled.